Calvary Mountain View
Calvary Mountain View Church (CMV) is a Calvary Chapel located in American Fork, Utah. CMV was planted by Pastor Joseph McCormick in 2003 and was originally called Provo Christian Fellowship. The name Calvary Mountain View Church was not adopted until its move from Provo City to American Fork City in 2004.
Calvary Chapel Movement
The first Calvary Chapel was started in Costa Mesa, California, in the 1960’s, as a small nondenominational church of 25 members, pastored by Chuck Smith. The Lord blessed that small group, and now Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa is home to 30,000 believers and has planted 850 churches in North America and almost 200 churches in South America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia.
Pastor Joe McCormick was born and raised in Southern California and studied at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa School of Ministry. In 1997 he came on staff as an assistant pastor at Calvary Chapel East Anaheim (CCEA). Six years later, CCEA was proud to send out the McCormick family, to join in the work that the Lord is doing in Utah county.
- CMV is devoted to the Word of God and sharing the love of Christ to everyone in Utah County. Our hope is to help foster this devotion and love in others by simply teaching the word simply.
- Our focus is centered around Matthew 11:28-30, “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
- That there is ONE LIVING AND TRUE GOD, eternally existing in three persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They are equal in power and glory; this triune God created all, upholds all, and governs all.
- That the SCRIPTURES of the Old and New Testaments are the Word of God, fully inspired without error in the original manuscripts, and the infallible rule of faith and practice.
- In GOD THE FATHER; An infinite personal Spirit, He is perfect in holiness, wisdom, power and love. He concerns Himself mercifully in the affairs of men, hears and answers prayer, and saves from sin and death all who come to Him through Jesus Christ.
- In JESUS CHRIST; God’s only begotten Son, conceived by the Holy Spirit, we believe in His: virgin birth, His sinless life, miracles and teachings, His substitutionary atoning death, bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, perpetual intercession for His people and His personal, visible return to earth.
- In the HOLY SPIRIT; Brought forth by the Father and Son, He came to convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgment, and to regenerate, sanctify and empower for ministry all who believe in Christ. The Holy Spirit indwells all who believe in Jesus Christ and is an abiding Helper, Teacher and Guide. We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit and in the exercise of all the Biblical gifts of the Spirit.
- That all PEOPLE are sinners by nature and by choice and therefore are under condemnation. That God regenerates, by the Holy Spirit, those who repent of their sins and confess Jesus Christ as Lord. That Jesus Christ baptizes the seeking believer with the Holy Spirit to empower him/her for service.
- In the universal CHURCH; The living spiritual body, of which, Christ is the Head and all regenerated persons are members.
- That the Lord Jesus Christ gave two ORDINANCES to the church: 1] Baptism by complete water immersion.2] The Lord’s Supper (communion) open to all believers.
- In the Laying ON OF HANDS for the baptism of the Holy Spirit, for ordination of pastors, elders, and deacons, and for receiving gifts of the Spirit for healing.
- In the personal, visible RETURN OF CHRIST to earth and the establishment of his kingdom, in the resurrection of the body, the final judgment and eternal blessing of the righteous and endless suffering of the wicked.
- The continuance today of the diversities of spiritual gifts found in l Cor. 12:4-11.
- Simplicity in church government, rather than a complex bureaucracy.
- A dependence upon the Holy Spirit to lead rather than fleshly promotion.
- The pre-millennial, pre-tribulational return of Christ for His waiting church.
- The teaching of the Word of God in such a way that it can be applied to life as beneficial towards a growing maturity.
- The teaching of “positive confession”.
- The belief that true Christians can be possessed by demons.
- A fatalistic Calvinistic view, which allows no room for free will.
- Prophesy that supersedes Biblical revelation.
- “Charismania” (the over-emphasis upon spiritual gifts, experiential signs and wonders, experiences not clearly taught in scripture, etc.).
Calvary Mountain View is conservative in theology and evangelical in spirit. In order to clearly define what this means, we have administered the follow statements: